Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dom's First Birthday Party

With as busy as can be is, I had two things I really wanted for Dom's first birthday party: 
1. Create an environment where guests would feel happy & comfortable
2. Relax, relax, relax & enjoy my son's big day!

So many times when you host a party, you're managing food, making sure people have beverages, organizing, etc.  While that's fine for some parties, I wanted to be fully "present" for Dom's big day.  I'm happy to say that both goals were fully achieved!!   We threw a relaxed "Surf's Up" bday party.  Nick & I made some awesome carnitas, sides & appetizers.  We created a fabulous Wisconsin-style bloody mary bar & filled some buckets up with juice, beer & water.  We set it all out at 11am when the party began and people served themselves throughout the party.  We were able to be in the moment the entire party!  We swam with Dom.  We hung out with old and new friends.  We completely relaxed throughout the party.   It was a very memorable day!  

For presents, we asked that people donate a "birthday box" instead of bringing birthday presents for Dominic.  These birthday boxes will be donated to Captain Hope's Kids so that homeless children staying at shelters can open a really cool present on their birthday. I have to say, our friends OUTDID themselves.  We held a contest with prizes & everyone BROUGHT IT!  The winners were Danielle for her hot pink tween bday box and Michele for her amazing dinosaur birthday box.  It was hard to choose a winner because everyone was so creative. I also have to thank our friends from the bottom our my heart because not only were these boxes filled with toys, but they also had toothbrushes, toothpaste,  sleepers, undies, socks and other necessities.  You guys are wonderful!

As for the birthday boy, Dominic had a GREAT day.  Hewas very demure with his cake.  He kept sticking his pointer fingers in the cake then licking his fingers. I helped push his hand in to show him he could grab it.  Ha - even then, he was pretty polite with the cake. No complaints here!   He LOVED swimming with all of his buddies.  He also really liked the carnitas and fruit that he had for lunch. 


I made the cute invites (WjC designs)



This family is ready to go!


Friends, friends, friends. We love ya!



Clockwise (from top left): cuddling with Omi, great birthday boxes, Dom playing with his new toy from Omi & Granddad, first rodeo shirt from Matt & Danielle, getting into the cake, Dom's monthly photos above the fireplace, surf themed cakes & bloody mary fixins.

Opening presents with the fam
Happy Birthday Dom!

No comments:

Post a Comment